The suspect in the docket before Eldoret senior resident magistrate Nicodemus Moseti on April 15 2019.

Prime suspect in the murder of medical student arraigned in court

By Kiptanui Cherono

The suspect linked to the brutal killing of Moi University School of medicine student Ivy Wangeci, 25, will be detained for 14 days to give detectives more time to complete investigations.

The prime suspect in the murder of Moi University school of medicine student Ivy Wangeci la week, Naftali Kinuthia being led to court on April 15 2019.

The Director of Public Prosecution requested the court for more time to enable police record statements from the accused; 28 year old Naftali Kinuthia.

The suspect was on Monday arraigned before Eldoret Senior Resident Magistrate Nicodemus Moseti but did not take plea as the prosecution said they are yet to finalize investigations.

State Counsel Freda Mwanzia told the court that police were yet to record a statement from Kinuthia since he committed the crime seven days ago and also had not taken him for mental examination in a government hospital to ascertain whether he is fit to stand trial.

The suspect in the docket before Eldoret senior resident magistrate Nicodemus Moseti on April 15 2019.

While requesting for more time, Mwanzia further explained that DCI officers took the cellphones belonging to the suspect and the slain student for forensic examination at the DCI headquarters and the results are yet to be received.

A lawyer for the accused Mbiyu Kamau did not object to the prosecution’s request to have the suspect remanded for 14 days but asked that his client be taken to hospital for medical check-up.

According to the lawyer, the suspect still has injuries that are yet to be healed as well as severe headache and chest pains.

Kinuthia travelled from Thika to Eldoret on Tuesday last week and killed his longtime girlfriend, a sixth year medical student outside the Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital, (MTRH) Eldoret in broad daylight.

The suspect, through his lawyer told the magistrate that he was still indisposed following serious beating he was subjected to by a mob to avenge the killing.

The suspect has been receiving treatment at MTRH before being discharged last Friday.

The magistrate directed that the suspect be taken to MTRH and once treated, be remanded at Naiberi Police Station in the outskirts of Eldoret town for the 14 days requested by the DPP.

Kinuthia will appear in court for mention of his case on April 30 as directed by the court.


Leave a Reply